The concept of a buddha bowl (also called a macro bowl) is a meal which has all three macronutrients represented: fats, carbs, and proteins. The bowl is usually comprised of a base of greens or grains (rice, quinoa, etc), and enhanced with any fun combination of toppings you may have on hand, including healthy fats and protein. This concept is a great way to use up the last little bits of leftovers and random things you may have in your fridge or cupboards. Bowls are also easily customized and can be adapted to any dietary restrictions or preferences.
Featured Buddha Bowl (1 serving)
- ~2 handfuls of spinach for base
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa (this was a leftover from another dinner)
- ~1/2 cup roasted broccoli florets
- 1 grilled chicken skewer (I used pre-cooked from WestEnd Cuisine, purchased from Costco)
- ~10 kalamata olives
- ~1/3 cup pickled onions (made at home, super simple!)
- ~1/4 cup hummus (I used cilantro jalapeno from Majestic Garlic*)
- ~1/4 cup pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds, for something crunchy)
- 2 Tbsp dressing of choice (I used Primal Kitchen Honey Mustard**)
Add everything to a big bowl and enjoy!
Calories: 621, Fat: 41.5g, Carbs: 33.5g, Fiber: 11.5g, Protein: 31g, Sugar: 2.5
*Majestic Garlic – My absolute FAVORITE brand of hummus and raw garlic spread!!! This is a local product that may not be available in your area, but you can find information on the organic sprouted hummus and garlic products here.
**This brand is available at many grocery stores including: Walmart, Target, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Kroger/Ralph’s/Fry’s and online through various retailers.