Jennifer Shun is the parent of a type 1 diabetic teen and is the author of For Good Measure, which features low-carb, farm-to-table California cuisine — a resource with specific ingredient lists and nutritional data geared to people living with diabetes. Click here for the original recipe and notes.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 5 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup butter, divided
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Please note, you will need a food processor for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Blend almond flour, coconut flour, salt and xanthan gum in processor.
- Add 6 tablespoons butter and cream cheese, pulsing until crumbly.
- Add one egg, apple cider vinegar and zest, pulsing until dough comes together in coarse crumbs.
- Turn out onto parchment lined sheet, patting into a round.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Mix apples, honey, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Remove dough from freezer, top with parchment and roll to ¼ inch thick.
- Add apple mixture to center of dough, leaving a 2-inch gutter.
- Dot with remaining two tablespoons butter, folding the rim up and over the edge of filling.
- Whisk remaining egg with cream, brushing egg wash over the edges.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until golden. *
Naturally low-carb & gluten-free
* Nut flours are sensitive. Check after 15 minutes, if edges are browning too quickly, cover with foil or a pie crust shield for the remaining time.
Nutritional Info for 1 slice:
Calories: 391, Fat: 35g, Carbs: 17g (net 12g), Fiber: 5g, Cholesterol: 112mg, Sodium: 403mg, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 6g