Jennifer Shun is the parent of a type 1 diabetic teen and is the author of For Good Measure, which features low-carb, farm-to-table California cuisine — a resource with specific ingredient lists and nutritional data geared to diabetics. Click here for the original recipe and notes.
Please note you will need wooden toothpicks for this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Soften butter in microwave.
- Add parsley, garlic, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, stirring until combined.
- Roll in parchment, creating a tubular shape and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Mix almond flour, paprika, additional ½ teaspoon salt and cayenne in a bowl, set aside.
- Whisk egg in another bowl, set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts.
- Pound chicken to uniform ¼ inch thickness.
- Dip breasts first in whipped egg, then roll in almond mixture.
- Remove herbed butter from freezer, adding a section to the middle of the pounded breast.
- Roll sides around filling and secure with wooden toothpicks, placing on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all breasts are prepared, leaving an inch of room between.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven, tenting in aluminum foil for 5 minutes.
- Remove wooden toothpicks before serving.
Naturally low-carb & gluten-free
Nutritional Information for one 5 oz. serving:
Calories: 361, Fat: 21g, Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 644mg, Sugars: 0, Protein: 37g