Jennifer Shun is the parent of a type 1 diabetic teen and is the author of For Good Measure, which features low-carb, farm-to-table California cuisine — a resource with specific ingredient lists and nutritional data geared to people living with diabetes. Click here for the original recipe and notes.
- 14 ounces 85% dark chocolate
- ¾ cup raw shelled hemp seeds, divided
- ½ cup roasted pistachio kernels
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Break apart chocolate into small pieces.
- Set a double boiler over medium heat. *
- Add chocolate pieces and stir occasionally until melted.
- Remove from heat and add ½ cup hemp seeds, stirring until combined.
- Pour chocolate mixture onto prepared sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup hemp seeds, pistachio kernels and cocoa nibs over surface.
- Place pan in freezer for ten minutes, remove, and finish setting at room temperature for one hour.
- Peel away aluminum foil and break into quarter-sized pieces.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Naturally low-carb & gluten-free
* If you do not have a double boiler, simmer a few inches of water in a medium saucepan, fit a glass bowl inside, ensuring water does not enter the container.
Nutritional Info per serving (1 serving = 2 tbsp):
Calories: 281, Fat: 22g, Carbs: 12g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 7g