Jennifer Shun is the parent of a type 1 diabetic teen and is the author of For Good Measure, which features low-carb, farm-to-table California cuisine — a resource with specific ingredient lists and nutritional data geared to people living with diabetes. Click here for the original recipe and notes.
For the Salmon Cakes:
- 2 pounds salmon, deboned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado mayo
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon black pepperFor the Lemon Herb Aioli
- ⅓ cup avocado mayo
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Rinse salmon, pat dry and place skin-side down on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until medium rare.
- While salmon bakes, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper, sautéing until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, parsley, lemon juice, mayo and egg in a large bowl until well combined. Add onion mixture, mix well. Add oregano, garlic powder, granulated onion and black pepper, mix well.
- Once cool, remove flesh from salmon and discard skin and parchment.
- Set oven to broil at 450 degrees. Line the baking sheet with fresh parchment.
- Gently fold salmon into mixture until combined. Scoop ¼ cup portions of salmon mixture onto prepared baking sheet, press to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with 1 teaspoon lemon herb aioli.
To make the aioli, whisk mayo, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Store in a refrigerated airtight container, until served.
Naturally low-carb & gluten-free
Nutritional Info for 1 serving:
Calories: 216, Fat: 15, Carbs: 4g, Fiber: 1, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 16g