Jennifer Shun is the parent of a type 1 diabetic teen and is the author of For Good Measure, which features low-carb, farm-to-table California cuisine — a resource with specific ingredient lists and nutritional data geared to people living with diabetes. Click here for the original recipe and notes. For a hearty low-carb bun recipe to go with the turkey burgers, click here.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 pound turkey, ground
- ½ cup Granny Smith apple, grated
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Clean, grease & preheat grill to medium-high.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, celery and scallions, sautéing until slightly brown about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix turkey, apple, chives, thyme, salt & pepper in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add celery mixture, mix well.
- Form into six patties, approximately ⅓ cup each.
- Cook burgers on preheated grill, until interior reaches 165༠ F, approximately 5 minutes per side.
Naturally low-carb & gluten-free
Nutritional Information for 1 patty:
Calories: 140, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 15g