We’re always looking for ways to make our favorite foods a little healthier and easier on the blood sugars. This recipe from our Continuing Medical Education Manager Sarah turns pizza into an appetizer and offers flexibility to use your favorite add-ons. The crust is sturdy and can hold up to a pile of toppings.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- ~6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons seasoning (I used Green Goddess seasoning blend from Trader Joe’s, but a dried Ranch dressing packet is also delicious)
- Finely chopped veggies of choice (I used shredded carrots, sweet bell peppers, broccoli, and cherry tomatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the eggs, almond flour, and seasoning in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan, lightly melt the shredded mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese until it is one gooey mass. Let it cool for a few minutes, then fold into the egg and flour mixture until evenly combined. This may look and feel odd, but trust that it will come together!
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and lightly shape it into a flat, small-to-medium-sized pizza crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool and then spread the remaining cream cheese on top. Sprinkle with more seasoning, if desired, and add the chopped veggies.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!