Halloween often feels like the start of the holiday season in our office – decorations go up and candy comes in. This is the time of year when will power is put to the test, and sometimes we just want to indulge without a lot of aftermath. These cookies from alldayidreamaboutfood.com do the trick – they are chocolate and peanut butter perfection with less than 3g of carb each!
Yield: 30 cookies
Peanut Butter Thumbprints:
- 3/4 cups defatted peanut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp stevia extract or an additional 3 tbsp Swerve
Chocolate Drizzle for legs:
- 1 1/2 ounces Lily’s Dark Chocolate or other good quality dark chocolate such as Green & Blacks 85%, chopped
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Candy monster eyes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in sweetener until well combined, then beat in egg, vanilla extract, and stevia extract.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet (you should get about 30 balls). Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand and then create a well in the center of each with your thumb (you may need to wet your hands a few times).
- Bake 12 to 16 minutes, until puffed and just golden brown and barely set. They will still be very soft. Remove from oven. Use the end of a wooden spoon or other blunt, round kitchen implement to gently re-do the wells in the center of each cookie. Let cool completely.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Cut the very tip of the corner of a Ziploc bag. Place chocolate in bag and drizzle four lines across each cookie.
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream and sweetener to just a simmer, stirring to combine.
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes until chocolate is melted, then whisk to combine. Add vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Dollop about 1 to 2 tsp ganache into the well of each cookie, taking care not to overflow the well. Let cool 20 minutes before adding candy monster eyes, if using.
Makes 30 cookies. Each cookie has 2.88 g of carbs and 1 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1.88 g. (Go ahead, have two. You deserve it!). Carb count does not include candy eyes. I would imagine this adds about 1 or 2 more grams of carbs per cookie.
Nutrition Facts (1 cookie):
Calories 98, Total Fat 8.34g, Cholesterol 13mg, Total Carbohydrates 2.88g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 2.14g