Place this pumpkin flavored dip inside of a hollowed out gourd so it can own its name! Serve with your favorite crackers as a party app or a fun after school snack. A savory dip like this one can be a nice change of pace from sneaking trick-or-treat candy all month long.
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (or any nut of choice)
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 white onion
- 6 cloves of garlic (more or less, to taste)
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms
- 5 sage leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil of choice (for sautéing)
- Salt and pepper (and/or other seasonings if preferred)
- Splash of vinegar of choice (white, balsamic, red wine, apple cider…depending on your preference and flavor profile of your add ins)
- Crunchy jalapeño pieces
- Crackers of choice (I used cornbread crackers from Trader Joe’s)
- goat cheese
- feta cheese
- green onion
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Lightly toast pumpkin seeds (or nuts) in a dry (no oil) frying pan, until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Chop and sauté shallots, onion, mushrooms, sage leaves and all of the garlic.
- Add puree, toasted seeds, and sautéed veggies to a food processor or high-speed blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add a splash of vinegar, salt and pepper, and any remaining seasoning, and pulse again until well mixed.
- Hollow out a small pumpkin, add dip to the pumpkin, and top with crunchy jalapeño pieces (or other toppings of choice).