“Beans, beans, the magical fruit…” “Beans, beans, good for the heart…”
Even though beans can have some “after-effects” as these popular jingles suggest, beans are magical in that they are healthy, filling, and full of fiber.
This light and colorful Mediterranean-style 3-bean salad, created by our CME Manager Sarah, is the perfect hearty side-dish any time of year because canned beans are always in season. 🙂 As Sarah mentions, be sure to rinse the beans well to reduce the sodium content. Rinsing can reduce the sodium by 41%.
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can great northern beans (aka white beans or navy beans)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar free sweetener (I used Swerve, but you can also omit it for a tangier dressing)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain and rinse all three cans of beans. Allow them to dry for a bit and then add them to a large bowl.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, and parsley, and add them to the bowl.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds/center to decrease the moisture in the salad. Then slice and chop it into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- For the dressing, combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar (if using), salt, and pepper, and mix together. Add it to the bowl and use a large spoon to toss the salad until its evenly coated.
Nutritional Info for 1 serving (1 cup):
Calories: 175, Fat: 6.5g, Carbs: 22 (16.5 net) Fiber: 5.5g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 7.5g